05 April 2005

More diapers, less despair

Four more weeks. Then the house will be closed, Mary will be back to work, my term at Emmanuel College will be over, Mom will have arrived from Indiana, and I'll be in the process of setting up a new home while taking care of my new son. Four weeks, and everything changes.

Yeah, I know everyone told me that everything would change on March 7, and it did. But for whatever reason, this seems even bigger. Perhaps it's because I read up on that. This, the prospects of taking care of my son without Mary's help all day, the idea that I own (and owe for) a house (the most expensive item I've ever been involved with)--that's spooky.

To return to somewhat normal business for this blog, I've nearly finished the first volume of N.T. Wright's Christian Origins trilogy, and it stands to be one of the theology-changing books in my life. Not that much has changed, necessarily; rather, now I've been given a scholarly vocabulary to articulate what I've wanted to think for so long (at least as long as I've started into the scholarly study of the Scriptures). Wright is at once theologian and scholar, at once faithful and acute. I'm looking forward, once I finish the 470-page volume 1, to digging into the 700-page volume 2. And that's saying something.

No comments: