20 January 2006

Pictures on the way

It just occurred to me that I haven't made any prints of Christmas pictures. To all the people whom I promised pictures: fear not. I'm planning to put a couple hours into that this week and send them to various distribution points east of the Mississippi .

I'm in the middle of procrastinating instead of reading The Last of the Mohicans. I've got to read it for an American lit class, and I figured I'd be able to bust the stereotypes and come away a more sympathetic reader.

The problem is that the stereotypes are true. The archaisms in dialogue, the terribly predictable plot, and the limitless supply of breaking twigs are all there. Although I can still sometimes amuse myself grunting the name "Chingachgook" under my breath, that's about all the appeal that the book is holding. I've got about two-thirds of the book to finish before Tuesday afternoon. Blah.

On the other hand, Performance Theory by Schechner is going wonderfully. I'm in charge of leading the discussion on its first three chapters next Wednesday, and I've already got some ideas jotted down. But right now, it's back to Uncas and Natty and Heyward.

Oh well.



No comments: