01 November 2004

Fascist Time Change

All this baloney about "gaining an hour..." whole lot of good it does when it's pitch dark at seven o'clock and I'm getting tired at eight! I think all of us from Indiana who have landed in states that capitulated to the totalitarian "let Uncle Sam tell you when the day starts and stops" plot get at least a little depressed on the day after Daylight Savings Time starts in the fall. No government should have that kind of power, but I don't suppose any military in the world is powerful enough right now to liberate us from the state's control even over the hours of the day...

Torture and Eucharist has bogged down a little, but I understand why. Cavanaugh wants to give a detailed treatment of Jacques Maritain's political theology because it had such a profound influence on the Chilean hierarchy and because it serves as an example of bad ecclesiology. But since I've never read a paragraph of Maritain, the commentary ain't doing much for me. I'm looking forward to clearing this chapter and getting on to Cavanaugh's chapters on resistance.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you've gotten me interested in the book you're reading. i may have to check it out at some point. i've started back into "A People's History of the United States" by Zinn. maybe i can put a substantial dent in how much i've read of it.

Nathan P. Gilmour said...

If you're brave enough, head over to the ooze's political forums and click on the thread about "concerns about the political forum" or whatever that Seraphim (love4theword) started. I gave my end-of-the-book review of it there (I'll probably do another one on my blog Monday morning).