17 November 2004

Nietzsche makes sense now

I forget whether it did back in college or whether I was just too sleep-deprived to maintain attention, but at this point, I'm about twenty pages into The Birth of Tragedy, and I'm actually getting out of it what people say is in there. I'm also chugging through Barth's Dogmatics in Outline. If I've got some time today, I might also start Robert MacAfee Brown's Saying Yes, Saying No or a reread of Milton's "A Masque." Underemployed ain't great financially, but I sure am getting some hardcore reading done.

It's now been since Thursday that I got a sub call. I turned that one down because I was studying for the GRE, and now I'm paying the price karmically. (Not sure if that's a word.) I've got the phone next to me as I type this, and I'm really hoping to get called. No matter, though--next week I've got five, eight-hour days lined up at the library, each of which pays more than an eight-hour day of subbing. And once January comes, I'll be applying for real jobs anyway.

Micah is as active as ever, though he always stops kicking when I put my hand on Mary's belly. A little less than four months from now, he's going to be breathing air and shared much more evenly between Mary and me. Ph.D applications are in the mail; now I've got to concentrate on applying to churches. More on that later.

No comments: