14 December 2006

The Feminisation of Chile
The strong women of a generation ago were not the product of an evolving society, but created by events – and I don’t mean Allende’s experiment, in which women were mostly helpmeets. Mónica González, the country’s top investigative journalist, who was jailed for her human rights stories in the 1980s, credits the dictatorship for that brief awakening. ‘Since the people killed, imprisoned and disappeared were mostly men, women had to confront authority as never before. Facing up to the army and the police in search of husbands or sons, joining forces and speaking out politically, going to work for the first time.’
In the wake of Pinochet's death, this article about the years since his regime lost power was pretty interesting. That feminism arose out of the ashes of neoliberalism is quite interesting; I don't spend a great deal of time thinking about gender issues (sorry to my feminist theorist and gender theorist colleagues), but this is one of those moments in which power and (bad) government and gender come together in ways that deserve some thought.

3 comments:

Jim Clark said...

Dude... you've got to tell me how to do the visitor count and location thing. I have a friend that is always posting where people who are checking out his blog are from, but I can't get him to tell me how to do it. Help!

Anonymous said...

Hey Nate, your CV looks great, but I actually heard it is better to put "Teacher of Record" rather than "Teaching Assistant," because TA implies that you are working under a "real" professor, whereas Teacher of Record makes clear that you are the one planning, teaching, and grading for the class. Sorry for repetitiveness if you've already heard that.

-Adrienne

Nathan P. Gilmour said...

Adrienne,

Thanks for the pointer. That makes some sense. I was just telling myself I need to correct a couple typos on it anyway.

Slim,

Go to sitemeter.com. Their basic service is free, and they email you a weekly report on your site's traffic. Besides that, you can do cool things like plot your blog visitors on maps of North America, the globe, and the Milky Way. (Most of my blog hits came from our planet.)

Both of you,

On topic, people! On topic! Chile! Pinochet! :D