01 February 2007

Not much time for bloggery lately

This semester really is turning out to be a grinder. But if I make it through this one, I'm done with major coursework operations. Mission Accomplished, one might say.

Well, one might.

The Psalms unit just plain went too fast. I'm glad that I spread out the revision days over more than a week (I tried doing them all in a week before and nearly killed myself), but three class periods just wasn't enough time really to talk about more than a couple poems a day. I hope that the paper-writing itself proves to be helpful to my students.

I'm about a third of the way through grading paper 1, and the quality of the prose on the whole is pretty good. They're muddling their conceptual agents and their grammatical subjects, and their conceptual actions and relationships often don't land where the grammatical main verb is, but that's why we teach writing, and I'm confident I can help them do that bit better.

We finished our discussions of Hegel texts last night and move on to Marx next week. Three hours make a long class. Three hours of literary theory make one tired. Three hours of Hegel at night makes one quite tired indeed.

And I've got Beowulf done for the week and have next week's text printed out and ready to translate. Hwaet!

No comments: