05 October 2004

No Picture

I know I dreamed something last night, because I woke up remembering it. But I lay in bed for too long afterwards, and now I can't remember a thing.

Tonight is the vice presidential debate, and I fear that I'm going to end the night wishing that Edwards were the Democratic nominee and knowing that Cheney is in fact the sitting president. Why this presidential race is not Dean-Edwards, or even Edwards-Kerry, is still a mystery, and as I told my little brother, it just goes to show that the Democratic party isn't taking this very seriously. I'm certain that a check of my email will reveal scads of messages from the Kerry campaign asking me to vote in online polls tonight. I might, and I might not.

My assessment of Niebuhr's categories, based on some online summaries, seems to be on so far. Although Christ against culture, the Christ of culture, and Christ above culture were compelling, Christ and culture in paradox is so far the most adequate of the stances that Niebuhr has laid out. I don't know whether I'm going to be even more convinced by his Augustinian/transformational model, but I suppose therein lies the joy of reading a good book.

No comments: